How to Handle a Car Accident While on Vacation
Vacation time is when you let go of the work stress and enjoy yourself. However, sometimes, that is not what you end up experiencing. It is because while on vacation, some people get into car crashes. It shows that even if you want to relax on your vacation, you still have to be cautious during your drive on unfamiliar roads.
CDC estimates that 20 to 50 million people get into car accidents each year around the world. Nearly half of this number might need medical evacuation back to America from other countries. Most of them are those who were on vacation and unfortunately got into a car crash. So, what can you do when you have a car accident while on vacation?
We will discuss this in detail, but first, here are a few things to do while driving in a new country.
- Take the time to learn about the local traffic laws and any driving procedures of the new country
- Ensure that you know how to drive properly. Do not rent a car when you have not been driving for years or if you are still a learner.
- Always practice safe driving. In case you get drunk, it is best if you take a taxi or Uber to avoid DUI charges.
- You can opt for motorcycle riding, depending on your needs. Sometimes it can be a great way to explore your vacation destination.
- If you have children in the car, make sure they are using the right car seats to keep them in place.
- Be extra alert while crossing any street. In some countries, motorists barely follow the traffic lights.
If you follow the basic rules mentioned above, you will minimize the chances of you getting into an auto accident.
Even if you exercise caution, unluckily, sometimes you can still get into an accident. So, what should you do?
Follow the basics of any traffic accident scenario
Just like you would have done while at home, call the police to the scene and file for an accident report. If you were renting the car, call the rental company to alert them of the situation. Proceed to collect any relevant information from the other driver or any other party involved in the accident. If witnesses are willing to share their contact information, take that too.
In case you are injured, seek medical attention right away. You do not have to wait until you get back to your home country first. Sometimes after an accident, the victim might not be feeling hurt. However, it can be an internal injury. It will be best to get to the nearest hospital as fast as possible.
The insurance policy will have contact information for the respective insurance company. In such a case, contact the company to alert them of the accident. The insurers will also tell you how best to proceed after an accident.
Engage an auto accident lawyer
Even while abroad, having a good auto accident lawyer is vital to ensure you know what to do in a car crash. Some law firms have branches in other countries. You might be lucky that your favorite law firm also has attorneys where you are visiting.